Games of the 16 Olympiad,1956
|City||Melbourne, Australia (Stockholm, Sweden - Equestrian)|
- Melbourne, Australia was selected to host the Olympics 1956 by one vote over Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- The other candidate cities were Mexico and five american cities: Chicago, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Detroit and San Francisco.
- Equestrian events were held separately in Stockholm, Sweden in June 11-17, because Australian quarantine laws were too severe (six-months period) to allow the entry of foreign horses.
Melbourne 1956 - Medal Table
Games of the 16 Olympiad,1956 - Some interesting facts
- The first Games in the southern hemisphere were officially opened by the His Royal Highness Duke of Edinburgh.
- The Olympics 1956 were the first Olympics to be boycotted. Less than three weeks before the begining of the Olympic games the USSR invaded Hungary to quash a revolution against the Communist regime and Switzerland, Netherlands and Spain boycotted the Olympics 1956 to protest against the Soviet invasion. Also, Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq boycotted the Melbourne 1956 due to the Suez Crisis and China stayed away because of Taiwan.
- United German Team (GDR an FRG) competed under Olympic flag and used Beethoven's Ninth Symphony as its anthem.
- New idea was introduced for Closing ceremony - all the athletes walked together as one team - that began an Olympic tradition for next following Games.