Games of the 4 Olympiad,1908
|City||London, Great Britain|
- Rome and Milan - both Italy and Berlin, Germany were candidate cities and the 1908 Olympics were awarded to Rome, as Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the IOC President, had wished.
- However, Vesuvius volcanic eruption in 1906 canceled Italian plans to stage Olympiad.
- In the same 1906 year London, Great Britain was named the new host city.
London 1908 - Medal Table
Games of the 4 Olympiad,1908 - Some interesting facts
- His Majesty The King Edward VII officially opened the Games of the 4 Olympiad at the new Olympic Stadium with a capacity of 68 thousand people that was built in the shortest terms.
- First in the Programme of competition of the Summer Olympic games was included winter event - figure skating.
- Winners of competitions recieved gold medals, the prize diploma and a bunch of oak leaves from Windsor Forest.
- At a service in St.Paul's Cathedral on Jule, 19 Bishop Ethelbert Talbot of Philadelphia said famous phrase: "The important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win, but to participate..."
The First London Olympics: 1908