18 Winter Olympic Games,1998
- There were five bid cities, that made their final presentations in June 1991 at the 97th IOC session in Birmingham - Oestersund, Sweden, Jaca, Spain, Aosta, Italy, Nagano, Japan and Salt Lake City, USA.
- Voting, continued until the fifth round, when Nagano with 46 votes was selected to host 1998 Winter Olympics, winning over Salt Lake City - 41 votes.
Nagano 1998 - Medal Table
18 Winter Olympic Games,1998 - Some interesting facts
- His Majesty the Emperor Akihito officially opened the 18 Winter Olympic games 1998.
- For the first time, NHL decided to suspend its schedule to allow its players to compete in the Olympic Games, but Americans and Canadian team with great Wayne Gretzky even did not win bronze medal.
- Snow, rain and fog caused the mens downhill to be cancelled and re-scheduled four times.
- In womens figure skating Tara Lipinski of the USA won gold medal and became the youngest winner, at the age of 15 years and 255 days, in an individual event in the history of Winter Olympics.
- Norwegian skier Bjorn Daehlie won three gold medals in Cross-country and became the first winter athlete, who had eight Olympic gold medals.
1998 Olympic Gold Gift Set