Games of the 31 Olympiad, 2016
|City||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
- Four candidate cities were bidding to host the Olympic games 2016 - Madrid, Spain, Tokyo, Japan, Chicago, USA and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- In October 2009, at the 121st IOC Session in Copenhagen, Rio de Janeiro was selected as host city of the Games of the 31 Olympiad with 66 votes over Madrid (32 votes) in the 3rd round.
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil become the second city in Latin America that will host Olympic games after Mexico City in 1968.
Rio de Janeiro 2016 - Medal Table
Games of the 31 Olympiad, 2016 - Some interesting facts
- The Vice President as Acting President of Brazil Michel Temer officially opened the Games of the 31 Olympiad at the rebuilt 75,000-seat famous Maracana Stadium.
- These Games was marked doping scandal involving Russia, which has affected the participation of its athletes in Rio 2016.
- The most decorated Olympian of all time Michael Phelps won 5 gold and 1 silver and increased his record to 28 total and 23 gold medals.
- American female swimmer Katie Ledecky won 4 gold and 1 silver medals. American female gymnast Simone Biles also won 4 gold and 1 bronze medals.
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt again won 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay events.