Games of the 7 Olympiad,1920
- In less than two years, the First World War, the Olympics resumed.
- Budapest, Hungary had initially been selected to host the Olympic games over other candidate cities - Amsterdam, Netherlands and Lyon, France.
- However, as Austro-Hungarian Empire was a German ally in the World War I, Olympic Games 1920 were awarded to Antwerp, Belgium to honor the suffering that had been inflicted on the Belgian people during the First World War.
Antwerp 1920 - Medal Table
Games of the 7 Olympiad,1920 - Some interesting facts
- His Majesty The King Albert I of Belgium officially opened the Olympics 1920.
- Opening Ceremony of the Games featured the introduction of the Olympic flag, designed in 1913 and contained at least one colour from every nation's flag.
- Belgian athlete Victor Boin became the first person who read the Olympic oath.
- Germany and Germany's allies were not allowed to participate in Olympic Games as the aggressors of World War I.
- Shooter Oscar Swahn from Sweden won silver medal and became the oldest medalist ever. He was 72.
The 1920 Olympic Games